Tuesday, December 17, 2013

Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere...even in 7-11!

So, if you know me, you know I can be a jerk...for a good reason.  This is one of those times. 

I walk into my local 7-11.  The store is completely staffed, regardless of time of day, by men and women of Indian descent.  This is no surprise.  They, as a people, have taken advantage of opening franchises of convenience stores, Subway sandwich shops and Dunkin' Donuts.  Great for them.  They are providing jobs for their community and building ownership for future generations.  Some of us could take notes!  But I digress.  When I enter, the young man working greets me with a hearty "Good Evening!"  It is a welcome to the store.  Good customer service.  I was in the store for a quick pickup of some Bar Be Que Sauce. I  reply, "How are you tonight?" He says fine and we go about our normal shopper, shopkeeper roles.

In walks an older short, Caucasian man who looks as if he may be of Italian-American descent.  He is greeted with the same hearty "Good Evening!"  He replies with a mocking "Good Evening" with his best fake sounding, Apu from the Simpsons, Indian accent.  He is proud of himself.  He even smiles a bit as if he has really done something funny.   I AM PISSED! 

I walk around the store until the older, short Italian-American man is ready to go, and I jump in front of him in line.  as the shopkeeper asks if I found everything, I break out my best Donnie Brascoe "Fuhget about it! It's friggin' great your store ova here!"  The short Italian-American is now PISSED!  His face is as red as Ditka's last Monday night!  I turn to him and say, "Sucks don't it.  This man has to take it to from you because he wants your money.  I don't!  Not so funny, huh?"

This guy is now livid, but he's like 5'6" and I'm all of 6'4" and three spins. He just mumbles something under his breath and stood there.  I paid for my Bar Be Que sauce and left, a little happier then when I went in the store. 

No comments:

Post a Comment